Activity 1 in Poland
The CERV Programme Workshop in Elblag 28-29.09.2022.
First expert planning meeting was directly linked with the project objective O1. The purpose was to create a survey for local citizens from partner communities, for supporting citizens’ accessibility to get involved in the local community.
The activity in Poland was attended by 30 participants from 5 countries and was coordinated by the Association of Polish Communes Euroregion Baltic from Poland. The aim of the September workshop in Poland – Elblag 28-29.09.2022 (and the following November workshop in Greece) was to prepare questions for a project Think Global, Act Local survey questionnaire, which we will use to collect opinions, identify areas not yet explored, analyse existing solutions and functioning proposals, and diagnose the needs of our residents formulated in relation to promotion, the image of the municipality and the creation of stronger relations and cooperation between the municipality and the citizen.
The intention of the activity is to strengthen the participatory model of municipal management. The common goal of participants was to improve the quality of public services, make municipal activities more attractive and make our municipalities more welcoming to residents and visitors from home and abroad exploring this state through dedicated questions created.
The initial proposal of survey content was planned and prepared by a team of people (5 countries representatives) involved in the municipality’s activities and the results will be used not only by the municipality, but also by the municipal units.
Entire survey is treated as social research is becoming an indispensable part of joint development and constitutes a first step and a basis for the preparation of the future strategy of Promotion (is understood as building and strengthening social relations in the municipality, identification with the place of birth, place of residence etc. It is also the place of an attractive offer of cultural and entertainment activities, which should aim to improve the quality of life in the municipality).
Summary of the activity
During a two-day activity in Poland (hosted by APC ERB) the group work of 30 participants from 5 countries has initiated and conducted preparations for the creation of survey questions dedicated to local citizens of the 5 partners which was aimed at:
- showing their accessibility to get involved in actions in the local community,
- the degree of interest in promoting the local community,
- the degree of interest in their desire to visit other countries for relaxation and treatment, etc.
The group consisted not only of local politicians and selected representatives but also of local government employees, representatives of NGOs and other organisations and residents of the region.
The purpose of joint action (dedicated to preparations of these questions) was to provide relevant data and material which will be collected and analysed after completing these questionnaires can lead to the idea of a long-term strategy for cooperation between municipalities and citizen involvement.
It was an activity that was intended to initiate, through the inspiration of local stakeholders representing both local authorities and citizens, a deeper reflection on the themes of the:
- The state of citizen knowledge and involvement,
- The state of information and cooperation with the authorities,
- The knowledge of promotional campaign of the Municipality and the level of knowledge of residents about it,
- Sense of identity with local government – State of social marketing.
During the workshop participants discussed and decided on the structure of the questionnaire to be sent out.
Structure and form of the questionnaire
- Form: mixed version combining electronic and paper approach,
- Structure: mixed structure of semi-open questions – will include both closed and open questions. Additionally, some of the questions will include an “other” answer, which would give the possibility to speak freely if a given option is not included in the proposed answer cafeteria).
In addition, it has been agreed that the questionnaire will be anonymous, but the provisions of the GDPR will nevertheless be respected.